Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What is Steampunk?

What is steampunk?....I think it is really a counter-culture movement that it's part of the cultural revolution, But me being the visual type I want to talk about what steampunk LOOKS like.Well I think it's hard to define a look or lifestyle, it's like saying, "what is bohemian"?, or, "what is shabby chic"? or, "what is beautiful?" Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so steampunk can mean something entirely different to you than it does to me, or even those who are completely immersed in a steampunk lifestyle - because the same thing resinates differently to each and every person, but just as in shabby chic's signature creamy whites, and chippy paint, and philosophy, steampunk has it's unmistakable elements and philosophy also. So while I personally will probably never donn a pair of goggles and a leather corset (unless it's halloween), I do love many of the steampunk elements, and might decorate with a pair of goggles and a leather corset. And while I love and admire a total steampunk look, It's just not who I am right now, so I throw in a few industrial pieces here and there with my victoriana,sort of a nod to steampunk. I don't think steampunk can be defined really, but that is my is my description of what steampunk is to me. Here are some definitions I found on the web:•is set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions,

•An imaginary Victorian age, that features brass and copper clockwork and steampowered inventions that go far beyond 1800's technology. Steam powered mechanical wonders, optimistic gear driven computers, dirigibles, clockwork firsts, and stuff like that. (But don't forget the goggles.

•Victorian Science Fiction that has dark & ominous tones, often where technology is an enslaving force and the main characters are fighting against the oppressive establishment. Cyberpunk with steam technology.

And here is a nod to steampunk at Binky la Faye

My friends Sarah Kammlah and Cecilia Berber-Thayer design some Fabulous Steampunk style furniture It's called Kammlah-Thayer for Carol Hicks Bolton. It's all made in the U.S.A. and has hand done detail work, I am proud to say that I made some of the pillows and lighting in the collection. Here are some pics of their showroom in High Point, North Carolina.

To me this is the epitamy of Steampunk
I did the pillows on this.

Great stuff huh? So go dig up some old factory cogs, dust off the industrial metal cart, pull out the the old pocket watches, goggles, and leather bound books and create your own nod to steampunk!!!

I will show you some of the other incredible looks from the Kammlah-Thayer for Carol Hicks Bolton Line in another post.

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. So glad I found your Blog... love your style... I do believe I've also seen some of your amazing lampshade creations in magazine spreads over the years that covered Carol Hicks-Bolton and Robin Brown? My Grandkids introduced me to Steampunk and I really like the style, creative repurposing of anything appeals to my sensibilities.

    Happy New Year... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very awesome, glad I found your blog, New steampunk fan. HUGS MARY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with the name Steampunk...it just sounds young, wild and free...ahhh the good ol' days where anything goes. I love the decorating of today. My Mom back in the 60's read in Good Housekeeping that every home must have an orange chair, that's the same time we got the avocado green stove...you just never know(thank God)!!!

    BTW...my dad still has that damned orange chair in the attic...don't ask me why...LOL!

    sharon

    ReplyDelete